Second Welcome Email!

Welcome again to ECON 201, the online version.  School starts tomorrow!  Hopefully by now, you have your twitter account set up, and you have sent me a follow request.  If not, you need to do that asap!  As I said, twitter is the main way we are going to communicate on a day-to-day basis in this class.  Each time you tweet to the class, you should include the hashtag “#econ201online” (everything inside the quotes) in your message.  That way, your tweet will appear in the box on the right sidebar of the course website.

I invite you to check out the course website at http://econ201online.umwblogs.org/.This email and the previous one are posted on the course homepage, as all important class announcements will be, so you should plan on checking regularly, if not daily. Be on the lookout for the opening announcement (“How to start this course”), which will be posted around 9am tomorrow morning!

Start by looking at the opening announcement (“How to start this course” and especially the videos mentioned there.  If you want to see the topics we will explore, check out the ‘visual syllabus’ on the header of the course website.  (Click on the virtual syllabus to see a larger version.)

The course follows a weekly pace.  You can see this by clicking on the course outline link, which is also on the header of the website.  We will cover about one and one half topics a week though a few topics will take longer.  Each topic has a page on the course website, which you can find by scrolling down on the right sidebar.

In the previous email, I said:

It’s hard to overestimate how different it is from a face-to-face course.  Think about this:  There are no regular class sessions like all your other classes have.  How are you going to learn the course material when there are no lectures?  How are you going to ask questions about things you don’t understand, be they content or questions about when things are due, etc.? Many many things that are done in class in a face-to-face course have to be done differently in an online course.

Because this is an online class, you have more responsibility for being proactive in seeking assistance when you need it.  The only way I will know if you are learning the material or not, is if you tell me!

This course *is* difficult, but if you put in the effort you will be successful.  You should plan on spending at least 9 hours per week reading, studying, and working on assignments for this class.

Studies have proven repeatedly that those who are highly self-motivated, responsible, and self-disciplined can do well in an online class. If these characteristics don’t describe you, you may wish to take another section of ECON 201.

If you have any questions about the course, feel free to email me.

I look forward to working with you this semester!

–          SG

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.